Monday, September 13, 2010

Nobody Does It Better........


Today opens the 25Th Anniversary of The Oprah Winfrey Show, this is her 'farewell' season, so for the next 130 episodes I'm going to be glued to my television like my life depended on it. I can't imagine a day when Oprah Winfrey wasn't a part of my culture and history. She has broken every barrier in television, she was this little girl who had a dream, and against ALL the odds she proved the world wrong. Who would've thought a black overweight girl from the south, would grow up to the most successful female in the history of television and not to mention a BILLIONAIRE!! Oprah did it her way, I can't say that I've always agreed with her choices, but I can say that I've always respected her position. Dealing with the powers that be, you have to answer to someone, and in this crazy world, you're not going to please everyone. I came away believing that you do the very best that you can with what you are given.
Today I salute Oprah Winfrey and it's going to be a very sad goodbye and yet I know that all good things come to an end, but I would be remissed if I didn't say thank you to her. She's part of the reason that I write and that I love journalism so much. I respect the Oprah Winfrey brand, because in spite of how journalism has become such tabloid trash, she never went with popular, fad culture she stuck to her guns and always brought integrity to delivering her method of journalism which was always based on fact NOT fiction. I encourage everyone to take time out this season to really sit back and enjoy every hour that you can of this farewell season. Wherever Ms. Winfrey next phase of her career takes her, I wish her all the successes in the world, and I know that she probably has more tricks up her sleeves than anyone can Imagine, and whatever she chooses to venture into, I'm fully on board. Thanks Oprah for showing the world how journalism and a talk show should be done.

3 comments:

  1. What a lovely article, and a befitting tribute to Oprah. you should send ths piece into Harpo Productions.

    rochelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Armor of God: Be strong in the Lord and in His mighty power. Put on a full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorites, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand, stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints. Ephesians 6:18 Then this war will be won by the Grace of God, and God alone. Keep hanging in there Son, God is watching, and I thank Jesus for that! - Love - Kentucky.

    ReplyDelete