Friday, October 1, 2010

Pedestal/TGIF

It's Friday ... let's get it in!
In forgiving comes healing, and the rebuilding foundation is put into place, the structured damaged is only temporary, the renewed understanding gives extra emphasis to better materials that you apply to your foundation, as hindsight is 20/20. Growing up I idolized my grandfather he was my world, and in my eyes the nicest man that anyone could ever meet, and how proud was I, that he was my grandfather. As life goes, things are revealed, and at best that perfect man, was human, and I badgered him, because I put him on a unrealistic pedestal, thinking that he was perfect and that was far from the realism, it took me quite a while to get over that, but doing my soul searching I realized that marriage, integrity and character takes much work. I exalted my Grandfather, and I now have the understanding that my 'perfect' grandfather is human and not without faults, as am I.

Take Minister Eddie Long for example there will be much incongruity on this subject, I don't know what really happened, all I know is that allegations are running rampant, people put their trust in him, he led his congregation to believe in what he believed and who knows maybe he was a false prophet, but the thing that I do know for certain is that he is a child of God, and with that said, I hope that his soul can be redeemed and I pray his repenting will be rewarded with renewed spirit and a 'better' understanding of what to do next time if he's allowed to hold such power again. His church put him on a pedestal, was it a blind eye, or did a group of people not want to see what was right before their eyes? The better question to ask is do churches give passes to their leaders who behave poorly? Adoration is an expectation that we individually put on people in positions of power. It is up to us to save the babies, teach your children the lessons of communication and truth. A child should never be taught to fear betrayal or abuse.

Putting people on pedestal greets you with disappointment as judgment is so easy to do, we've all been hypocrites before. Remember 'perfect' is a fantasy played out in our minds and on television, but when reality sets in, were all in the process to cleaning house, to get to be the purest that we can be. Sin happens everyday, but so does redemption. So for all the grandfathers, ministers, husbands, wives, sons, daughters, mothers and fathers, lets move forward without the pedestals, but with a 'newfound' understanding that forgiveness is loving, and acceptance gets you closer to that sacred place where we're trying to get to, and it's done with humility and ownership.

What Are You Doing With Your Life?

12 comments:

  1. It's rare to read an article where someone will tackle the truth, and show another light. Most think along the same lines, but few ever speak on it. I applaud you. I don't if the Eddie Long really did it, but I tend to agree that he was given to much power and he abused it. I don't know if the boys were victims or not, because for a time it was mutual consent and beneficial to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kevin I Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a bold TGIF. It sounds like you believe the minister to be guilty. It takes two, and I believe that Long is innocent, however I agree with you that we do tend to put out leaders on pedestals, and when they fail, we fail to credit them as human.
    Phoebe

    ReplyDelete
  4. You don't pull any punches do you mister kevin? this week, you had a heavy heart, and the spirit compelled you to speak the words that others are afraid to speak. It's up to us to teach the children, it's up to us to demand accountabilty. I'm humbled.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you drop knowledge all the time. I was in a valley today, and your words forced me to come out, and we need to hear the truth.

    Mona

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great piece, I agree with you totally! I don't know why humans like to put people on pedestals that we all fall off of! No one is excempt! Look what we did to so many stars ie" Marilyn Monroe, Elvis, Michael J and many, many more. We make people think their above the rules of life and no one is. Its also good to let people who try to put us on pedestals know its too much of a obligation to live up to. Some times your the bug. Sometimes your the windshield!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This piece musthave been hard to write. I appreciate you going against the odds to speak on things that we don't always want to deal with and discusss, just like the movie Precious, it was dark but true reality. Eddie Long is no exception. Sin is Sin but we must put anyone on a pedestal.
    Ric

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was a touchy subject, and I was on the edge of my seat as I read it. It's good to know that you forgave your grandfather, that tells me a lot about your character. Hopefully Eddie Long can follow your lead.
    Clarice Z.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Eddie Long is guilty just like Jimmy Swaggert, Jim Baker and the rest of those clowns who hide behind the cloth. God sees all, it's time for us to wake up and take off the masks.
    Shila

    ReplyDelete
  10. good stuff Kevin, a little hard to take but you gave us something to think about.

    ReplyDelete