Thursday, January 23, 2014

Flashback Who's That ...

Flashback Who's That Thursdays:

Rapper Queen Pen came on the scene in 1997. She had all the ingredients to take the music industry by storm. Being an out of the closest lesbian, so there's the controversy angle, the marketing monies were there, a high profile video on all the video music outlets, super 'then' hot producer Teddy Riley. Having been the first artist to be signed to Riley's 'Lil Man' record label, all eyes were on her and paying attention. Her debut was laced with full on top notch production. The project though almost twenty years old STILL stands, and Is still in my constant rotation. It baffles the mind why this record didn't hit, it easily challenged the Hip Hop females like Eve, Foxy, Lil Kim, Trina, Brat, and Charli Baltimore. During my years working in the music industry, the failure or lack of interest to this project, still have me scratching my head. Take a listen to the link http://youtu.be/qVlVi-sm-2M 
see if you agree with me.


1 comment:

  1. yo I remember you working this project and trying to shove it down our throats. LOL it really was a nice project, I just think that radio wasn't getting the money that they wanted from Teddy Riley, or rather, Teddy wasn't willing to pay the big bucks for a hit.

    ReplyDelete