Friday, June 26, 2009

Never Ever Be Another/TGIF

Effervescent,one of kind,timeless,master,brilliance.......Never Ever Be Another!!

Every now and then a person comes along and enriches and touches our lives in ways we can never imagine. Someone who transcends color lines, a global superstar, where language barriers cease. The world witnessed magic every time this artist took to the stage. No one can ever deny what the record books have already charted; Thriller, the best selling release of ALL time; 8 Grammies awards in one night; Motown 25 when he debuted 'Billie Jean', doing his infamous moonwalk.

Growing up I was always entertained by the two families in musical culture, the Jackson Five and the Osmond family. Two lead singers stood out, Michael and Donny. Ironically they were not the oldest in their families, but closer to the youngest. Both had the 'it' factor.

Part of who I am, and what moves me, is largely due to having the luxury of growing up in an era of LP's like 'Destiny', 'Dancing Machine','The Jacksons' 'Goin Places', 'Triumph', 'Off The Wall', 'Thriller'.....The voice was pure silk. The smile could light up the darkest of rooms...and yes I tried to rock the afro too. Lastly, who could forget the dance moves....all the many, many, many dance electric, lubricated moves, that Michael Jackson did with such ease. He inspired an entire UNIVERSE to celebrate and love one another. Forever a child like a modern day Peter Pan. He believed in love, he supported so many charitable organizations. From little kids to adults he immersed us all. Michael was something rare, exquisite, and often times fragile.

Whatever your opinion, the fact remains: you could never deny his STAR, CELEBRITY, ICON, MASTERY, HUMANITARIAN, FATHER, SON, BROTHER and FRIEND!! Talk to anyone, young and old, everyone has a Michael Jackson story. He appealed to the child in all of us. He taught us how to moonwalk. Who could deny the famous penny loafers and white glitter glove.

His greatness came into the world, to educate, witness and comfort. Michael's music was the absolute pinnacle of greatness for others to aspire to. Without him, there would be no MTV, BET, Video, Concept Videos, Usher, Justin Timberlake, Ne-Yo, Jonas Brothers, Britney Spears, New Edition, Backstreet Boys, Rahsaan Patterson, Madonna, Whitney Houston, Janet Jackson, Kanye West, Maxwell, Bobby Brown, Ricky Martin, Beyonce,chris Brown, NSync, John Legend, Lauryn Hill,Black Eyed Peas, Ciara and many more...They were all inspired by Michael Jackson.

We get attached to people and things that take us away to easier places. The world is saddened by the loss of Michael Jackson, here for such a short time, yet so much accomplished, so much to remember and relish in. So poignant a figure to remember. Yesterday America was glued to their televisions, to the Internet, to their radio, all in disbelief that our father, son, brother, friend, humanitarian and icon's life had come to an end. Much anticipation was put on his 50 date tour that he was about to embark on through Europe......'we', who are the world was anxiously awaiting the next chapter of what he had to offer. He rewrote the musical history books, with so much more vigor still to offer, we are numb with disbelief.

Michael Jackson, aka King of Pop, may your soul finally be at complete rest. Wishing you a peaceful journey, take your bow and one last round of applause for a job so very well done.



P.S. Sending special prayers out to Katherine, Joseph and the entire Jackson family. May God bless us all.

30 comments:

  1. This is a horrible dream. Not Michael. I've been crying all day. I can't breathe...Michael and Farrah....two ICONS..
    R.I.P. two angels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can not ever imagine a world where Michael Jackson wasn't a part of my life. As a only child, I found comfort in music,film and art. I know how it feels to be misunderstood, especially when you dont have all the answers. On so many levels I related to Michael, because I felt that he 'got' it. For every awkward moment that shapes our developement, he helped me and others to make it through. Im a firm believer in showering people with flowers when they are among the living. Michael Jackson I loved and appreciate your artistry, and all the hits that you took for the little voices of the world, who could not always defend themselves. I pray for your soul to receive heavenly rest, a place where your find comfort, contentment and space to dwell in all that your desire. R.I.P.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of MY favorites: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7y0G1tTzXM.

    We could do a MJ youtube video party too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Words escape me.....sha moan! I've always wanted to do a remake of Never Can Say
    Goodbye, but it would be too cheesy now......RIP MIC. . . u didnt even know u
    were my first love (then came Haywood Nelson). U sang me to sleep with Push Me
    Away, u made me cry with Ben, u rocked with me, u didnt stop til u got enough
    with me, and u renewed our love when u said Billie jean was actually NOT yur
    lover. But most of all Mike, it didnt matter if iwas black or white....and for
    that I Love and will miss u. Trace...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very Classy Kevin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautifully put Kevin!

    ReplyDelete
  7. True.... & best blog yet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The media, is a cold calculating group of people. Above all Michael Jackson was a human being. His music is what he should be judge on. His greatness can never ever be deminished.
    Are we living in a time where ratings are all that matters? What about the person? What about his survivors. Fuck ABC,CBC,CNN,NBC...I want true Journalism.
    Lastly thanks for writing such a tasteful tribute. You need to rethink your career...Journalism and Television NEED you!!

    Spencer Ferrer
    Kensington

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the Jacksons Variety Hour. Timeless, Classic...Masterful

    ReplyDelete
  10. He was a dear Prince. What a child of God. Born to love, the courage to heal. All hatred, need to cease.
    Michael Jackson is forever a timeless masterpiece.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another blow to you and lost for us all. This was as all others, was very nicely put. Your words has rendered relief for this sudden grief.

    Thank You, and much appreciated.
    ATL

    ReplyDelete
  12. This could not have been said any better! Thanks Kevin! I too am a huge fan who appreciates what he gave and will forever feel the loss as well as celebrate the gift.

    JJ Jr
    San Diego

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so said I'm been playing 'Blues Away' on repeat for hours...
    R.I.P. Michael Jackson your troubles of the world are no more...no more suffering for you. No more blows from the media...Rest Now Sweet Prince.

    Alma

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really appreciate the write up you did on MJ. Very well said.

    I've just been deeply saddened and moved by the whole event

    ReplyDelete
  15. I STILL can't believe it. Thanks for such a tasteful article. You've managed to ease a true fans spirit. I agree with the points you touched on in this article. May his find peace...finally.

    Cameron Gonzales

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kevin your assessment of MJ talent and iconic importance is on point. There will never be another or one that comes close. MJ was a student of P.T Barnum always masterfully manipulating the media, captivating us all with his music and his life’s challenges, the ups and downs (and who hasn’t them). He was the architect of MTV and BET allowing them to flourish in his in his shadow, it was a symbiotic relationship. So many in the media owes him debt of gratitude for their success. MJ may the peace that eluded you in life embrace it loving arms around while you rest. Well done MJ, well done! (Fred in NC)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello Kevin, I can't stop crying. I don't want this to be real. I want this HORRIFIC nightmare to end. I MUST wake up. I can't breathe.
    I love love love Michael Jackson...I want your soul to be at rest. Can the world allow you to go in peace?. The NEWS media have no heart or human decency. It speaks to the core of racism, when media pundits can be so cold and calculated to try to reduce this man's great talent and genius. FUCK OFF...and let the King of Pop rest in eternal peace.
    Eva
    Boston, Mass

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great article....you should have a column. Journalism is not the same, the core of the story seems to get lost. Thanks for keeping it on the page, and speaking about the 'matter' at hand, this genius talent.

    Rockmond
    San Francisco

    ReplyDelete
  19. Michael Jackson I WANT YOU BACK!!
    R.I.P.

    Liz Silva
    Hobbs, New Mexico

    ReplyDelete
  20. And when the groove is dead and gone...you know that LOVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVE survives, so we can ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOCK forever onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn. NUFF SAID!!
    Love you Michael

    Skip

    ReplyDelete
  21. I really love what you said here. It was touching!

    ReplyDelete
  22. OMG the BET Awards was such a dud. Ne Yo was great, so was Beyonce, and the opening by Jamie Foxx, but the show was flat and a insult to the legacy of Michael Jackson. Whitney and Anita cancelled, Usher and Justin, both were suppose to perform. Where was all the heavy hitters? These fly by night up and comer's are autotune and lipsync clones. Michael jackson deserves MUCH better than this. Im still pissed off about the lack of care that went into this awards show. It was self-aggrandizing at it's best. The hidden agenda was very blatantly clear.
    I want a REAL tribute with the bigs guns to come and show support, if Janet obviously in pain, could sacrifice her sorrow, to ease the fans, the 'very' least BET could do is present a classy so long. I'm so ashamed at this moment. Debra Lee, whack whack whack. Again MICHAEL I love you, and always will. You deserve a MUCH better honor than what I saw tonight. God bless you and your family. Janet I'm praying for you, Hang in there.
    Angelo Jolivan

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm still in mourning. His time on earth was too short. I watched BET Awards last night, ghetto ghetto ghetto. It was a chance to really celebrate this genius from his own people, and I'm ashame to say this, but african americans dropped the ball. My twelve year old couldve done a better tribute. Michael Jackson deserved BETTER than this. The singer Ne Yo, I wasnt really familiar with, but he saved the entire show. I like Beyonce, but her performance seemed less than sincere. You got the feeling that was there just to promote her brand...which is very sad, because if it wasn't for Michael Jackson, she couldn't exist. When Selina passed our culture stepped up our game, with little means,we honored her life.
    I'm very upset, sorry that I'm venting. I did want to comment on your column for Michael it was very tasteful, and the points that you covered, is truly what a tribute should be about. The facts, and not the myths. Thank you.

    Elisa Rochus

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hmmmm!!! On that note you definately have a point that I'm sure a lot of people share. I myself did not realize your view point, which is very valid. I thought as I was reading, maybe they were all with Kathrine and the family. Maybe that should be your next project, find out where the hell were they.

    Love Ya

    ReplyDelete
  25. I enjoyed reading this article. Media outlets, could learn a lot from you. Michael Jackson's legacy cannot be destroyed. The media always try to paint such a sordid picture of this mans true calling. They build you up to take you down. I cant imagine living my life under such scutiny. Michael was so strong, through it all.

    Jamel
    Bronx

    ReplyDelete
  26. it makes so sad, and want to cry, michael has such a hard life as a kid, and all the things he had to suffer because of the accusations, he didnt had the chance to really be happy with his life and kids. its killing me to hear this song. this is a person who just wanted to help and to give to children and to the world. and insted of it people turned the back to him. he really didnt deserve of this. he deserved to have a good life on stage and with his children.. ; (

    Brittany Samms

    ReplyDelete
  27. Michael Rest In Peace. Even through out all the drama, you managed to maintain the "King of Pop". You did something no one else could have replicated. Good bye.

    ReplyDelete
  28. A week later I'm still in disbelief. I just checked my email, and saw your article. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  29. hi Kev,
    what a day, what a week, what a moment!!! what is happening!! no power in pity, choose power and strength and even a healing touch that is ours for the asking and believing. the songs took me away in such a sweet way. . ..those golden oldies will never fade. . . Tito was my favorite as a young girl, why? his looked reminded me of an older guy I met in the summer of the year I finished 8th grade, good Lord! that just popped up in my head! My 2 sisters and I went to see/hear Chicago at the War Memorial Aud, with these two brothers and my older sisters boyfriend, which was just torn down, the Aud, I mean wow! love Michael, may all his family find some rest and peace today and always, what a price to have to pay to share your talent and gift!. . . count the cost. . ..trust you are well and always looking up, as always, thanks for the tunes

    ReplyDelete
  30. I have been blessed to live my life in the same air with you Micheal. Everything you touched became gold. The future will have your music, but we had your life and were priveliged to be able to say that........Your Music will live forever....................

    ReplyDelete