Thursday, July 23, 2009

Command Performance


This clip illustrates why this Pop Legend will go down in the history books. The voice of a angel. She puts her staple on every song she sings. Showing other vocalists how to command a song and a stage. She's truly the staple of a song stylist. The voice soars and conquers. This performance hand everyone on their feet. During this time in Whitney's career, in 1991 she released 'I'm Your Baby Tonight' and some felt that it was too R&B, eventhough she had two number one pop hits "I'm Your Baby Tonight" and "All The Man That I Need" of her CD. People were starting to give her grief for not being black/r&b enough, while african americans were starting to think she was too Pop. Some felt she had forgotten her roots. (In my opinion, she shouldnt have to fit into any format, in life you come to realize that you can't please everyone.) Whitney always a believer in the proof is in the pudding, was about to shut all systems down and write her name in the history books, because two years later, she released a little film and soundtrack, called 'The Bodyguard' and you know how that turned out.

This performance is one of my all time favorites, it had old time glamour and glitz and of course her vocals and beauty was clearly on display.

4 comments:

  1. PERFECTION....I forgot all about this performance. Your recollection is uncanny. People love to hate on success, Whitney Houston has endured, but not without bumps in the road. I was at her CD listening party the other night, and it was standing room only. You could feel the electricity in the room, and it was clear that everyone who was there, was rooting for her return. This classic performance here speaks to her legacy, and the new material that was featured the other night, will show the world how truly great and amazing God is. I love Whitney Elizabeth Houston. She timbled, but "didnt" crumble.
    Ivory Brooks
    Manhatten

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for taking me to the Billboard Awards that year, you introduced me to Whitney's greatness, and I'll never forget that night. It seems like only yesterday.

    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Now ... that's the Whitney I remember and love. She's my baby. I'm wishing her all the past. Thanks for the nice strong back down memory lane.
    Stef

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just got in from Whitney's listening party. The lady has been through the fire and rain, and made it through the storm, and is living her testimony.
    Go Whit!!
    Paul
    Beverly Hills

    ReplyDelete