Friday, November 13, 2009

Stand Strong/TGIF

Happy Friday Everybody,

Being an adult, is what we all yearn for as children. Doing things and not having to answer to anyone seemed to be heaven, how little did I know. We always answer to somebody right? Sharing insight, ideas or pains with another can be therapeutic and educational. The road is paved and woven with so many different textures. We may not be in the military, but every day you live, you're fighting and at battle about something.

I saw the actress Suzanne Somers on a talk show this week. She has a new book "Knockout: Interviews with Doctors Who Are Curing Cancer--And How to Prevent Getting It in the First Place" that she's promoting. She had cancer about ten years ago, and was in remission until a year ago. Her doctor's diagnosed her as having full body cancer, something that I've never heard of before. She takes 60 pills a day and hormones. To understand that doctor's are just 'man' and not God is so powerful to comprehend. Standing in the battlefield armed and prepared to address whatever needs and ailments necessary is the only way to prepare for combat.

In my life, my greatest heroes have always been women. Their strength and vulnerabilities are so incredibly attractive. Society doesn't always show them in the best possible light, and sometimes they aren't considered equals, yet without them where would we be? Life seldom is fair, and STILL it's rare to see them complain, and more often than not will always go to bat for whatever cause at hand. A woman loves her children and is fearless when it comes to them, a woman loves her man, right or wrong. A woman serves her God, and a woman prepares her table for feasting. Do they cry, yes they cry, but seldom is it ever a pity poor me yelp.

Women stand strong through any adversity. I remember my mother's struggle with Ovarian Cancer. She would take two 800 milligrams of Motrin and work a 12 hour day, with stage 4 cancer. She did that for months. Ironically her doctor never stopped to suggest taking a CA 125 test, which isn't covered by your HMO but it's a blood test that checks for Ovarian cancer. So going back to Suzanne Somers book, I think it's your right to stand strong, and fight for your right to live and be vigilant about what happens in your life.

We men rarely say job well done to the homemaker, the wife, the mother, the corporate CEO who also prepare our meals, it doesn't matter how tired she may be, we expect the intimacy and want our needs and desires fulfilled on the regular . To say I may not always know your struggle, be it equality, your hurts, fears or desires, but to say I'm here with you, through the struggle regardless, I'm with you and I stand strong, because like you've provided for me so many times, today I can say I got your back this time.

What are you doing with your life?

14 comments:

  1. hey Kevin, do you ever sleep? great piece, very informative.
    Lyone'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great article Kevin. It seems you have a way with words. The struggle will always be there. But if we truly have someone who is really looking out for our beat intrest, the struggle will seem less hectic so that we can remain on that higher level of calmness. I see you are doing well with yourself. I hope nothing but the best for you Kevin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG!!!!! Kevin this is one of your BEST blogs EVER. If you want to know why, I'll tell you in two simple words--it's personal. It's about you and your feelings. Just yesterday I was talking to Maribeth about the people you love/admire--Whitney Houston, Teena Marie, Dihann Carroll, etc..., but to talk about your mom and how she battled cancer, going to work everyday, taking pills, and not having the CA125 test, now that was very moving.

    The difference between this blog and your others, in my humble opinion, is that the others are geared towards questions and personal opinions, whereas this one is about your personal feelings and experience, which reveals a tiny part of the beautiful soul you truly are....Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks very educational and moving.
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  5. This TGIF is really something I needed to hear, and it's something that I will put on the calendar with my doctor. Thanks for sharing. God bless you.
    Roselia

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have a lot of passion inside of you Kevin, and that passion will lead you to the right door. Things come hard in this world and time is never ones friend. We seem to have lots of time, but it seems to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Wait and be cheerful,

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just wanted to say thanks for this one. I appreciate that you can appreciate and acknowledge the strength AND vulnerabilities of women. I'm coming to understand that I am both of these things and that it's ok to allow people see it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I stand strong, which is not always easy. Many a day my work goes unnotice but I hand in there and I fight. Thanks for taking a woman's view into perspective. A male voice is seldon called to our benefit. You're a good man.

    Francis

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good info. Thanks for caring and sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would like to talk to you more about the CA 125. You seem to have a lot of knowledge on the subject. Thanks for sharing the story your mom's story.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Doctor's think they are God. I'm going to purchase Suzanne's book. Thank for the information. Question, do you follow your own advice?
    Thandie

    ReplyDelete
  12. You were so revealing about your life this week. I love when you do that, it lets us into who you really are. I'm starting to really feel your vibe.
    Allyson

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very well said. I look forward to your TGIF's every Friday. Please continue.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Morning Kevin, thanks for honoring women with such gifted words with TGIF message. I'm doing well, have gone through a lot of emotions, but I think I'm finally getting there. Have lost 28 lbs, got a wow out of my son. Working out every day, eating a lot healthier. Starting to sleep better.

    ReplyDelete