Thursday, December 16, 2010

Command Performance

This will go down in history as one of my all time favorite Soul Train Awards ceremony tributes. When you think of Anita Baker, geniune, warm, personable and talented all come to mind. It's rare that a show can get a tribute right, but I was elated to see that Debra Lee pulled it off. Here she collected some of the top 'real' singers of r&b all A-1 talent Chrisette Michelle, Tamia, Faith Evans, Rachelle Ferrell, Kem, Lalah Hathaway, Goapele and Dionne Farris. I'm still on a natural high from this performance. When you hear Anita Baker's music you just know that the world is just a little better and brighter because of her contributions.

8 comments:

  1. This was my favorite part of the show. These women are beyond talented. Anita Baker introduced Tamia to her husband, Grant Hill. It was cute how Tamia put up her hand and did a semi-wink to Anita during the song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anita Baker is a beautiful person inside and out, and really deserved this tribute. What a special woman. One of the best singers in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ncredible!!!! The essence of our excellence and pride were on display. It was a presentation that made me very proud of our culture and accomplishments. Seeing Rochelle Farrell, Lalah, Kem and Dionne Farris made my heart smile. Big ups to BET for finally providing our audience with a presentation worthy of praise. This tribute could not happen for a person. The quality of a tribute is predicated by the quality of its honoree. Ms. Baker is a class act!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. MY FAV R&B singer ANITA is a beast baby!!! & THESE WOMEN ALLLLLLL DID EXCEPTIONAL!!!! WOW !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. me my mom my dad we all ran to the set when this came on my favorite part is when GOAPELE came out WHAT CAN I SAY I AM FROM THE BAY

    ReplyDelete
  6. God bless you! I understand what you mean when you say this music brings back memories. I watched these performances at the Soul Train Music Awards and it deeply touched me. I was brought back to my childhood and the memories of the places I'd been to listening to these songs. I wish music today could have the same affect. There is an absence of love, emotion, passionate, and sincerity in todays music

    ReplyDelete
  7. where toni braxton deep voice ass at?lol she wulda been perfect but ol girl wit dreads gave me chills when she waz singin.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lalah Hathaway and Dionne Ferris were my favorites, but all were so good.

    ReplyDelete