Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Where Were You The First Time...


That you heard the scream of Chaka Khan's classic pitch perfect vocals? Not only is she beautiful, with a gigantic piercing smile, but her legacy in music is unequaled. She can sing ANYTHING. The greatest award to longevity is the ability to continue to create new vehicles in your music to continue to charter new territory, and to not sound dated in the process. Believe it or not this little lady got her start at the early age of 17 and fronted the group Rufus for almost a decade. We will never forget the lyrics .... "I will love you anyway, even if you cannot stay, I think you are the one for me, here is where you ought to be" yes "Sweet Thing" will forever be a classic for the history books. Chaka Khan has praved the way for Whitney Houston, Sade, Anita Baker, Rahsaan Patterson, Ledisi, Natalie Cole,celine Dion, Mariah Carey, Fantasia, Christina Aguilera, Tamia, Lalah Hathaway and countless others. Her voice is still just as capitvating today as it was when she first set foot on the music scene...we love you Chaka, Chaka Khan and we'll always 'feel' for you.

3 comments:

  1. The first time that I haeard Chaka was on Sweet Thing I was six, it's still my favorite song of all time. I'm 36 now, and music is just not the same. Thank God that I grew in a time when music was true. Thanks Chaka.
    Amberlyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a freshman at Yale and my girlfriend at the time was a promoter and Rufus played at a local nearby club and I went to the show fully unaware of what I was about to witness. The vocal dynamics of her voice alone had me sold.
    T

    ReplyDelete
  3. the first time that I ever heard of Chaka Khan was a few years ago, on a song called "Angel' she's truly gifted.

    darren

    ReplyDelete