Thursday, December 30, 2010

Command Performance


The world mourned the loss of our blue eyed soul sister Teena Marie this week. Her life and legacy, will always be remembered as a 'chosen' gift that she honored GOD with every day of her life. Teena always believed in soul music and never desired for anything but that. The life of a artist is one where you hope other's will receive your delivery and more importantly you hope that your delivery is understood. I can talk about Teena forever, I fell in love with her music as a kid in junior high school, and the love affair never ended. Her catalog is so deep with lyrical meaning, it's hard to choose just one, but what I decided to showcase today, is a tender moment in 1990 when she dropped by BET to promote her "Ivory" CD, she sang "If I Were A Bell" and the quiet storm classic "Casanova Brown" which is featured here on my blog, how exquisite was this performance, the simplicity of just a piano and Teena's voice....ooh la la, when it's real talent that's all you need. 'Casanova Brown' was about her love affair with Rick James, at the time few knew the 'true' story. If you're not aware of Teena's musical legacy, you should start with "Irons In The Fire", "Passion Play", "Naked To The World" and "Ivory"....and don't stop until you have her entire catalog.
Though her life was interrupted, the love affair with her music never has to end. Enjoy

4 comments:

  1. Thanks you very much. Though I never met her, I've always been a fan, and I'm glad to know that I wasn't alone. The latin community loved Teena as much as the African American community. She will be greatly missed.
    Jose Ramos

    ReplyDelete
  2. she was the real deal. such a talent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this was such a tender moment. thank you teena and thank you kev' for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. truely a gift sent from GOD. Teena Marie will live on thru my wife & I. R.I.P. Teena & GOD bless your family. We will see you again ;)

    ReplyDelete