Friday, May 1, 2009

Conversation Piece/TGIF

Hello Everyone,

Happy Friday. It's May Day.
A few things on my head that I don't understand. What makes Susan Boyle so special? I live in America, why do I have to press 1 for English?(That drives me f*cking batty)and lastly do were all look at the same moon? Just questions that has me perplexed.

This week I sit in with a hospice patient. Understanding loss is something we all will have to deal with sooner or later, and for the rare few who haven't...enjoy the moment. As I was speaking with Ms. Johnson who is 63. She talked about facing death, and how her doctor had given up on her. No more cycles of chemo or radiation treatments. Her spirit was very strong, she smiled a lot and we talked about simple luxuries, you know the kind that most of us take for granted.

I was reluctant to accept this volunteer gig because I felt it was too bleak, and I opted for something light and easy, then I took me out of the equation..it can't always be about self.

Ms Johnson expressed her dismay with her Doctor, whom she felt had disregarded her, like her opinion no longer mattered, Instead of sharing his diagnosis with her, he talked to her daughter, even though Ms. Johnson was in the room. I couldn't help but wonder, when and how did doctor's become so cold and unfeeling, or were they always like this? Some might feel that this is eerie conversation, but I often time take for granted the simple pleasures, as I'm sure we all do. Ms. Johnson worked for the FBI for thirty years, but these days she spoke of her proudest accomplishments like having enough strength to go play bingo, being able to walk three blocks to her mailbox, or strolling through the mail, things most of us would say, was no big deal, yet while sitting with Ms. Johnson, listening to her talk about those little things, really brought her joy. In turn spending time with her brought me joy beyond measure, and in a obstructive sort of way we became friends.

To look at her, one would never guess her situation. I'm a better man because of my visit with Ms. Johnson, who is staring the inevitable in the eye, with a full on appreciation of 'now'. She's in the moment, present, grateful and uncompromising. To be at peace while unselfishly comforting others. This has been a extremely surreal experience for me.

When I first walked into this strangers room, I had candy, flowers, books and magazines that I wanted to offer her, she chose two great books, 'Conversations with God' volume 1 and 2. Those two books were given to me. How befitting for this moment. As I was leaving Ms. Johnson's room, as we said our goodbyes, she hugged and thanked me for treating her like she mattered, she told me that she loved me, and the last thing she said to me, was that she was going to pray for me. How profound to pray for others and not concentrate on herself.

What are you doing with your life?

God bless us all,

P.S. Please support The Game Friday nights on the CW network. Check your local listings for air times.

6 comments:

  1. It was very touching to experience Ms. Johnson's pain through your eyes. Saw another side of you. After all, we're all dying everday. It's just a matter of when. Great piece!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was very touching to experience Ms. Johnson's pain through your eyes. Saw another side of you. After all, we're all dying everday. It's just a matter of when. Great piece!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Kevin... I look forward to receiving your "thoughts"..... keep us human... Prayers for you and Ms. Johnson.

    Bea

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, beautiful piece. It urges me (and I am sure others) to stop and smell the roses, and to give more of ourselves to others. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How lucky for Ms. Johnson that she met you and was able to share your wisdom, feelings of love and empathy. WOW!!!! It was probably good for you too that she has such a strong spirit.
    I share your disgust at having to press 1 for English. I flame out every time that happens. (I need to work on that)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for introducing me to The GAME!! I LOVE IT.

    Ashley

    ReplyDelete