Monday, May 25, 2009

ICON

Vanessa Williams was the first black Ms. America in 1984. Everyone knows about her Penthouse scandal. Long short, when you think of all the things that this lovely woman has achieved. The negative pales in comparison, all that she has achieved thus far. Sometimes when a door is shut, it makes you fight harder to get to the next 'door' of your life. It truly speaks to, and shows one's true character. Ironically a dark moment, where the Ms. America vehicle wanted to slander her name. Years later, they wanted to do is showcase her name, the pageant's committee, had they audacity to ask her to participate in Ms. America promotions.



One of the great things about Vanessa Williams, is that she never looked back. A successful recording artist, a stage and screen actress, a mother. She has managed to stay present for over twenty-five years. Currently starring in the weekly hit series 'Ugly Betty' as Wilhelmina Slater, a first class b*tch, she pulls it off with ease. While on summer hiatus the ICONIC Vanessa Williams will release her 6Th studio CD entitled 'The Real Thing' on June 2-2009.



A ICON is someone who consistently raises the bar, exceeding expectations,and paves the way, while setting an example for others to follow. Being at the top of your game is NEVER easy, but with style, class and dignity it's your assured security blanket, that keeps your warm through the peaks and valleys. Longevity is earned and not given.

Thank You Ms. Vanessa Williams, for walking with your head held high, and for saying yes I did that too, but it didn't define me, look what else I was able to achieve, and I'm STILL here dammit!!

9 comments:

  1. OMG, I'm SOOOO excited that Vanesa Williams is singing again. I was a freshman in college when 'the right stuff' came out. I can remember dancing like my life depended on it. That song was smoking. I also love her acting. She was amazing in 'stompin at the savoy' and 'Soul Food'.
    Vanessa is truly a ICON. I can't wait to June 2 to purchase her new CD.

    Ivan Hewitt

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely. This was a refreshing read, to not highlight a scandal, but to celebrate a very successful career. Few writers take the high road. Most want the quick buck, so they go for gutter journalism. I applaud you Kevin. You managed to capture the pure essence of Vanessa Williams, who is one strong woman, against all odds. She made her made her mark, and she deserves her just due.
    I wasnt aware that she was still recording. Thanks for posting her new music. Youve been very infomative.

    Leslie Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Her duet of "you gotta go" with Brian McKnight, helped me to leave a bad relationship. I think Vanessa's strength inspired me to be a stronger woman. Her life encouraged me to pursue my dreams, and get my degree in economics.
    Shari Lopez

    ReplyDelete
  4. ICON??? Isnt that a stretch?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice article. Vanessa defintely has proven to have THE RIGHT STUFF!!

    Luis

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love her new song "Just Friends". I think it should be the first single. It has a summertime feel to it.

    Kassandra Livingston
    Quebec

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vanessa Williams is The Real Thing, such a great title for her CD. Its fully applies to her persona. Thanks for your article. I agree she is a ICON.

    Micah Guillory

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice. Thanks for the information. 25 years is a long time to stay vital.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Nessa, and the eyes are FAB!!

    Nia Peoples

    ReplyDelete