Thursday, June 28, 2012

Ann Curry ... You DID cross the finish line!!

After much speculation Ann Curry co-host of The Today show announced that she was indeed leaving her post as Matt Lauer's co-anchor.  The Today show has had this type of fall out before, when Jane Pauley left she was replaced with Deborah Norville, whom Amerca didn't seem to respond to, then she was replaced by Katie Couric, whom america loved, some years later the powers that be felt that Couric was getting too old, she was replaced by Merideth Vieira which was greeted with successful ratings, all shared co-anchor duties with Lauer, Vieira grew disenchanted with her hosting duties and quit last year, to be replaced by Curry.  When Lauer renewed his Today contract alledgedly he made is known that he did not want Curry as his co-host, if that's statement is true, it has to be a hard pill for Curry to swallow.  Everytime I've watched her on The Today show, I get warm, geniune and sincere.

Here's the announcement that Curry made this morning to the Today show audience:

Curry made her announcement at the end of the 7-9 a.m. show, sitting on the couch with Al Roker, Lauer and Natalie Morales.
Curry spoke first, clearly fighting to get out the thoughts she had been preparing, and when she finished Lauer and the others all told her how much they would miss her.
A tearful Ann Curry announced to viewers on Thursday that her time as a co-host of "Today" has come to a sudden end.

After 15 years on the show, Curry was given a brief four minutes and twenty-three seconds to say goodbye to her audience.
This is not easy to say but today is going to be my last morning as a regular co-host of 'Today,'" Curry said. "I will still be part of the 'Today' show family but I will have a new title and a new role. And this is not how I ever expected to leave this couch after fifteen years. But I am so grateful, especially to all of you who watch." Curry called viewers the "real 'Today' show family," saying, "I have loved you and I've wanted to show you the world."
"For all of you who saw me as a groundbreaker, I'm sorry I couldn't get the ball over the finish line, but man, I did try," she added.

2 comments:

  1. this is such a sad story. matt lauer should be ashamed of himself. in this bad economy we all need our jobs. Ann Curry I wish you the best.
    God bless you.
    vera

    ReplyDelete
  2. morning programming is such a cut throat industry. i think ann curry will land on her feet, she has always been a thorough journalist and like any minority, she understands that she has to work twice as hard as they do. she gets that.
    Shelley

    ReplyDelete