Saturday, June 30, 2012

I Remember You....

Phyllis Hyman (July 6th 1949 - June 30th 1995) touched my heart and life.  She was a brilliant vocalist that was well versed in classical, jazz, blues and soul music.  Though she had a troubled life that battled heavily with depession.  The passion that she brought to her music and performance was always top notch.  I remember getting the call about her passing on Friday night back in 1995, I had an event to do on Saturday, at the end of my event I made an announcement dedicating the night to the 'late' Phyllis Hyman and I played one of her biggest hits 'You Know How To Love Me'. When I made the announcement so many people came up to me asking me did I really say what they think I said, and I said sadly yes it was true. 
Thanks again Phyllis Hyman for touching my life.  Today I remember you and your great body of work in music, film, jingles and theater. I sincerely hope that your soul is at peace.

3 comments:

  1. Aww babe, i've been playing phyllis all day long, now it all makes sense. i loved her too, she was a bad ass bitch, with attitude and she didn't take any bullshit. RIP Phyllis
    D'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phyllis was a treasure, unfortunately she didn't even know it.
    a. sanders

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sadly Phyllis believed life is your own to do what you wanted. She killed herself battling demons. Its a sad thing when you do not realize that you're loved especially if you have no self worth.
    Jaime lynn

    ReplyDelete