Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Happy Birthday Teena Marie - I remember U


Growing up music saved my life everyday of my life.  In my lifetime, four people (singers) truly effected me more than any of the other great ones, somehow Ella Fitzgerald, Gladys Knight, Teena Marie and Whitney Houston did something special like non of the others.  Today I would like to acknowledge that from 15-19 my world only moved for Teena Marie.  My first journalism piece ever was an interview that I did with Teena Marie for the Daily Review newspaper when I was almost 17 years old.  She was very gracious, sincere with such a loving pure heart.  I still have the cassette, yes CASSETTE of the recording, and even though it's a little embarrassing to hear all the cheerleader inflections in my voice at the time, because I was sooooooooooooooo stoked that I was interviewing Teena Marie.  It was my good fortune that I was able to see her in concert on numerous occasions and thorougly enjoyed them all.  Later in my life, I got to know her personally, and was invited into her home.  She was that rare artist, true to her artistic belief.  Her soul was really 'soul' music and she stayed true to that, she didn't sell out, she remained an R&B singer, songwriter, producer her entire career, that speaks so deeply of her character, she could have easily taken another path, like being another Janis Joplin or a rocker or pop singer, which from a monetary value would have given her greater dividends, but that was not in her heart. 
Today I would like to say thanks again Teena, you know how much I loved you and your music, you were one of the artist who helped saved my life, because you were always there for me when I needed you.  Happy Birthday. Though you're no longer here in the physical, your music and legacy live on, because we remember and we'll never forget you. RIP - KK

10 comments:

  1. I loved Lady Tee! I midd her musical presence

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Teena you willy always be my favorite 'Ivory' girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy B-Day Tee, we miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Happy Happy Birthday to ya precious white girl. Since Day One was my cut!!! RIP Lady Tee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Teena was such a pleasant spirit and truly a rare jewel. She is deeply missed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. She was a very lovely person. Happy Birthday Lady Tee

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday Teena Marie ... I remember your too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday Lady Tee, you are truly missed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now it makes sense as to why I heard so much Teena Marie today on the radio,. Happy Birthday Ms. Vanilla Child ... You are missed. Rip

    ReplyDelete
  10. Irons in the fire is my cut ... Happy Birthday Tee ... Youre still very present in my heart.

    ReplyDelete