Thursday, August 6, 2009

Command Performance...


This performance began my love affair with Whitney Elizabeth Houston. It was her first appearance on David Letterman. She was just a baby, hell we all were:) 'Saving All My Love For You' is my all time favorite Whitney song. When I listen to this song, I still feel exactly the same way that I did twenty years ago. At that time I didn't know anything about love, and really how could I? I was a teenager.
Whitney set and raise the bar for other's to fellow. Her competition was steep, as you see, back in those days, we had 'real' singers, who sang. Her contemporaries were Stephanie Mills, Chaka Khan, Jennifer Holiday,Natalie Cole, Miki Howard, Regina Belle,Mica Paris,Celine Dion,Sheena Easton and of course the legends like Gladys, Aretha, Patti, Barbara were charting high as well.
America could not believe that all of this power and control was coming from such a tiny little body. Whitney grabbed the attention of America, she had seven consecutive number one singles, sealing her moment in the history books. Some 170 million sales later, Whitney Houston is returning to music August 31 with her 'I Look To You' CD. While the world waits with HIGH ANTICIPATION of the new music, until then, this classic live performance of 'Saving All My Love' will have to hold you. The notes that she hit on this performance are hungry and pitch perfect. It was clear Whitney was out to capture the world, and boy did she ever.

3 comments:

  1. this was special!!!! and dave. . .WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love love love this performance. She was such a baby, and so innocent and beautiful. Where do you find these great archives? You should be a part of her camp, she needs more folks like you. Im with you "Saving" is my all time favorite Whitney song aswell.
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was in the 80's and I will admit, Whitney made it hard for all of the above contemporaries mentioned. She had what most of us lacked, true money and belief behind her. Clive Davis only liked a certain type of artist. My career would have be vastly different and with longevity if I have a Clive in my corner. With that said, I always respected Whitney's tool, though I will say she abused her gift.

    ReplyDelete