Friday, August 21, 2009

Spirits Having Flown/TGIF

Another Friday..

Last week a very close friend passed away in her sleep. In my group of friends, she was one of the oldest, she was like a sister/mother to us. Her passing came out of nowhere, and when I got the news I almost couldn't breathe. It likes a horrific dream, but you know its not. I'm left with years of memories, which is a blessing. We had the greatest times, I mean really great times.
I found myself sleeping a lot and not wanting to talk to anyone or deal with anything. I'm numb and so removed. Interestingly enough, I realize that the loss isn't as great as the gain, because your memories are yours for a lifetime, and I'm a much better person for having her in my life. I'm slowing participating in life again, as I should, and it's the thing she would want for me/us...to do LIVE!!

As we continue on with the focus on friendship, it's a constant reminder to give flowers while your loved ones are here on earth. Ame and I were great friends for over 18 years, and in those eighteen years, a lot of living, growing, developing,care and concentration was illustrated. We grew up together, we shared some highs and the occasional lows. To have a honest friendship is something that we all aspire to fulfill. Its never easy getting to that comfortable place. To be comfortable with someone takes time, and trust. We were that to each other, and effortlessly, we connected. I think we were two guarded kids, who grew up in the church with deep religious beliefs, expectations and questions.

These past ten days, I've felt her spirit with me, and it made me wonder where do we go to next. How one day you can be here, and the next day gone in a instant. How dreams, seem and can be so life like and very real. I allowed myself to be still, and really think about the times that we shared,and I've wondered what work is needed here, for me to see my friend again. I'm not unique, because at some point in our lives we will all lose someone close to us, the family members given the course of life, will pass. A lifetime friend is just as deep as losing a close family member, because often times, you're probably closer to them than family members.

In a dream, a story is told, sometimes the dream is so vivid, you don't want to wake to write it down, because you're certain that you'll remember it the next day. Unfortunately we aren't always lucky enough to recollect the dream, and that's unfortunate. Now when I have a great dream, I force myself to wake up, and I write it down. How many times have you felt some one's presence or heard a noise, when you've been home alone or driving in your car. Perhaps you smell a certain fragrance out of no where. Do you shrug the idea off, that it could possibly be a loved one, in the form of a spirit. I'll admit it's not a easy subject to wrap your mind around, but what if...

Sense memory is a acting exercise, take for instance your bedroom. Close your eyes, and can you visualize what's on your walls, the color of your bedspread, where did you leave the remote etc...try to recall what your last meaningful conversation was, and with whom? Now take it a step further, what was your last memory where you experienced a death, and how impacted was the loss?
When you look to the rainbow, do you find it to be happenstance, or do you feel there's a meaning to everything?
Life will severely test you, know that it's only preparation for something greater...

What are you doing with your life?



P.S. Pop Legend Whitney Houston returns to music with her first new release in seven years. 'I Look To You' hits records stores August 31-2009.

17 comments:

  1. thanks for sharing kev. really enjoyed reading this. by best friend died of cancer at 14. she was my female soul mate. she might have been young, but the 2 of us were young girls with old souls with an incredibly deep friendship. a series of things(signs of her presence) happened to me through the years after she passed..i will share them with you when we link. really incredible. in fact...i just reconnected with her younger brother via facebook. hadn't seen him since he was nine. he went on to develop some special effects software and worked with george lucas for 7 years on the last couple of star wars movies, as well as the star trek film and most other huge blockbuster special effects movies. really nuts! our union is another story in itself...anyway...would love to hear more about your friend when we link.

    talk soon! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alright big dawg, alright. You are ready for the world or I should say the world is ready for you. The world needs to here the words of Kevin Knighton. You know I believe that God takes you when you reach perfection. That instant. We belong to him. He lends us to this world, but just like anything else that you loan out...when you want it back...you want it back and it is selfish of anyone to hold on to it longer than that. We are his to give and take. Agree? Besides our friends can do allot more for us with him than they can here. I think this event was the culmination of your writing. It has completed your perspective skills. You are truly ready young Jedi...truthfully ready! With out fail...your writing has changed my attitude every Friday for the last three Fridays. I'm almost affraid to open your email and read your words...because I know there is medicine in there, medicine that I don't like but that I need. You have truly arrived big dawg...now let's share it with the rest of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love your Friday messages and I love you too!!
    Remind me to tell you my story about a rainbow after Shari died........................

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry. I can only imagine. We are all at an age where losing someone seems so far into the future, though I know God has the authority to send for any of us at any time. Still, we never lean on that fact.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel you Bro. Keep your head to the sky and keep on bloggin.

    James

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely! thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kevin,
    We Amelia's friends, have all been looking to you for your words, especially in regards to Ame's passing. I really looked to your direction last week, but you only touched slightly on her passing. I know that i'm hurting, so it has has to be so much harder for you. i appreciate you giving us the "meat" this week. I don't mind telling you that I look forward to your blog weekly, and more and more. I think you have another calling, and it might be ministry.
    Eve
    Alameda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, thanks for tenderly touching on a subject that most wouldn't dare. You're a amazing man. I can't believe that you're single. You need to get married, and have children, and leave your mark and legacy. Such a deep thinking individual. I'm amazed that you share your writings, because Ive always known you to be very standoffish and aloof.

    Dana Giovanni

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks to you all for your words of encouragement, believe me I really needed them these past two weeks. I always say, I'm just a man, trying to reach, touch and feel what life is all about, some days I get it wrong, but some days I really get it right, and that's what I live for. Thanks for allowing me to share your world.
    P.S. Extra special shous to R.J. and Annias, yall help me on the day to day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. awww dang Kev' you got me all choked up. I remember meeting Ame when I came out to visit you a hundred years ago. She was crazy about you, and had the greatest smile. She also could make the best Martini's EVER. Give yourself a hug, and know that she's watching over you, along with your mom. Stay Strong.
    Jocelyn

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay so that explains why you're NOT returning my calls UGH!!! I'm really sorry for your loss but, damn what about the one's who are still living? Spend some time with us too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Kevin,
    I was very saddened to hear of Amy's passing. I know how close you were and God I know so well the loss of a dear friend. Just know I am here and if there is ever anything I can do for you please dont ever hesitate to ask me. we go way back.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful post, Kev. Thank you for sharing your words with us.
    - lily

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely tribute to your friend Ame. Your words fall right off the page, you can tell that the relationship the two of you shared was special. Hang in there, and know that she's with you - still.
    Allyson K

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am just reading this e-mail...I was very moved, and I still feel your pain, all mentally, emotionally and most importantly spiritually....So, that's what let me know that you're weeping, but you're also gradually gaining the Joy....I love you and take care

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry to hear about your loss. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kevin I just found this. I didn't know what Ame passed. I'm in shock! How are you holding up? I know your world must be rocked. The two of you were thick as thieves. When I get back to the states I will check in on you.
    God bless you and our frienship family.
    Mica

    ReplyDelete