Monday, August 10, 2009

Guilty Pleasures....


Okay let me first say, a few years ago my boy Tony Scott in NYC tried to turn me on to the Wendy Williams Experience. My social standards was above stooping to some wannabe disc jockey, belittling 'real' celebrities. She was just gut bucket and messy, outing EVERYONE, she posted a picture on her website of Sean Combs tongue kissing a man. Her beef with another radio personality Angie Martinez is legend. She tried to go toe for toe with Whitney Houston, which honestly is her claim to fame.

Now that I've provided the backdrop for you. Fast forward a few years later, this Wendy Williams personality is given a TV show on Vh-1, still brass and a mess. This time she's outing Tyson Beckford and Derek Jeter. Her personality still brass and over the top. For the longest time, I was certain that 'she' was a 'he'.

I was quick to judge her. The fact remains, she has been the top air personality in New York City for ten years. She knows her music, and I can't hate on her for that. The popularity of that show led her to a daily talk show called The Wendy Williams show. The show was giving a six week test run in August 2008. Proving to be a ratings draw. Her show was picked up for a full season that made it's debut July 12-2009.

I must say that thanks to Tony Scott, I'm a bonafide fan, she's crass, over the top, funny as hell and above all she speaks the truth. She appeals to the curious mind, added with a bit of 'messy' makes her a guilty pleasure. I use to be ashame to admit that she won me over, but the truth is the truth. She's a 'MESS' and I guess I have a little bit of that in me, along with the world, because we're paying attention.

3 comments:

  1. Me too...I'm NOW a fan :)

    Kameron

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is a mess, but you jsut got to love her. I love the her gossip is univesal and not just about african americans. She's very campy, and she knows how to vamp it up.
    Go Wendy.

    Mya

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wendy's one crazy bit*h.

    ReplyDelete