Monday, August 31, 2009

Finally, WHITNEY's 'I Look To You' is here!!


Pop Legend Icon Whitney Houston's first studio CD in seven years, drops today. "I Look To You" is her first release of all new material. For those of you who are expecting the Whitney Houston of 25 years ago, WAKE UP and LET IT GO!!! No one stays the same, well few stay the same, you have Gladys Knight and Patti LaBelle whose voices are 'still' golden.

Whitney has been to hell and back, and though I don't think this CD really tells the story of true triumph, it does tell the story of someone humbling themselves and admitting to being human. For anyone else this CD would be a triumph, but for Ms. Houston with a big budget, and a high profile return. I think Clive Davis didn't really do her justice. At the end of the day, someone like Whitney Houston shouldn't have to give in to today's trends or gimmicks.

The current day best selling female is Beyonce' Knowles, who STILL can't touch Whitney Houston vocal wise, and when Whitney was Knowles age, she was singing miles around her, with that said. music has drastically changed. To sell two million copies these days is considered a monster hit, well back in the day Ms. Houston sold a million copies in one week. Some 170 millions copies later, she back in the game.

Some worthy numbers are "Worth It", "Calling You Tonight", "I Got You", "Million Dollar Bill" and her remake of Leon Russell's "A Song For You" which has been turned into a dance number, and it actually works, and could work even better with a proper remix, which would make it a bonafide club banger.

This CD sets up for what Whitney will follow it up with, maybe that will be the real test of her focus and rehab. I for one am rooting for her, I like the CD, but I was expecting pure pop, and lesser named producer's to make a artist who is already a superstar, succumb to their ideas of what should or should not work for her. Whitney always says that the 'record isn't over yet', and I believe her, with proper care for her instrument, I do think she will win, as I said before I'm rooting for her.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review, you seem a bit conflicted. It's like you can tell thatyou really like her, but it also seems like you don't feel her a was brought to the table. I'm impressed that you were able to be objective :)
    I'm buying four copies to give to some of my friends.
    A. London

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kevin NOT you criticizing your girl Whitney Houston. You are growing up, Ame and your Mother would be proud. I feel what you're saying, I was expecting better from her. Im going to buy a few copies, because after all it IS Whitney, and I will always root for her.
    Thanks for the article.
    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kev,
    I agree.And just going to enjoy the new cuts.

    ReplyDelete