Friday, February 8, 2013

From Day One - Remembering

I shall never forget being a little kid visiting my grandparents in the south.  It was a small town with one local soul radio station.  For as long as I can remember I was mesmerized by music.  One of the things that I loved about the tiny little radio station, is unlike a large market radio station, who played only an artist current single, this station would have two or three songs of a particular artist in their rotation.  I was a big lover of Billboard magazine, so I read it like it was the Bible, I could tell you where a song peaked, how much it sold, how long it stayed on the charts, trust me, I was on top of it.  I kept reading about this singer named Whitney Houston who was going to blow up the music scene, her debut was perfectly orchestrated, I remember seeing her sing "Nobody Loves Me, Like You Do" with Jermaine Jackson on the soap opera "Search For Tomorrow" her radiant smile never left my head.  Next I remember hearing her sing "Home" on the Merv Griffith show.  Flash forward back to my story in this small town, so I'm listening to the radio one day, and I heard a song called "You Give Good Love" and the announcer gave the name of the singer, of course I was familiar with the name, but didn't realize that her record was finally about to be released, I tell you, I read about her for at least two years before her single dropped.  When I heard "Good Love" I was so amazed by her vocal quality and delivery, then I saw they video with her gigantic smile and those beautiful pearlie white teeth, and her model looks, that began the love affair, so a few days later I'm listening to the radio station, and they disc jockey announced that he would play another song by new comer Whitney Houston, it was "Saving All My Love For You" and I couldn't move, a few months later I'm back home in California and, I'm watching late night with Dave Letterman, (which is the video that I've selected below) he introduces Whitney Houston who debut "Saving" LIVE on his show, she wore a lovely black designer dress, flawless hair and makeup, of course the gorgeous smile and WOW all of a sudden I knew what true love felt like, in that moment and I've been in love with Whitney Elizabeth Houston ever since, and I will never forget her - EVER! She changed my life!

15 comments:

  1. I appreciate your constant love that you have for Whitney, its quite beautiful. I love her too.
    Shaen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ADORE LOvE RESPECT ... RIP Whitney!

      Delete
  2. She was truly something special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My word, its so hard to believe that its almost been a year since her passing. I dont think any of us are over it.

      Delete
    2. Whitney is fiorever loved without a doubt.
      Tracie.

      Delete
    3. You Give Good Love was and dyill is my shit. I MISS her!

      Delete
    4. Nice stroll back diwn memory lane. I hooe that she had dome happy days, she gave others so much joy.
      rio

      Delete
  3. Ill always love Whitney too. Its still such a hard thing to accept. She was so much larger than life. Rip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Global ICONIC Whitney, so was so talented and full of life. The legacy that she left behind a full body of work to be adored.
      Tracie

      Delete
  4. Kevin you tell the best Whitney stories. Please share more with us. I can always feel your love for her.
    Juliette

    ReplyDelete
  5. She gave and gave and gave and they took her every drop. She had nothing left for herself. Still hard to believe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. RIP ... What a hard year. Whitney's radiant smile could always put you at ease.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That hair was EVERYTHING!!!!!
    LOVE HER!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of my all time favorite pictures of Wvhitney! Gosh I miss her!

    ReplyDelete