Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Jazz Legend Dave Brubeck dead at 91

Famed jazz pianist Dave Brubeck -- the man behind the famous song "Take Five" -- has died.  Brubeck's manager said the music icon passed away in Connecticut this morning due to heart failure, while on his way to a cardiology appointment. He was 91. His birthday is tomorrow.  Brubeck was a living legend -- having written several jazz staples like "In Your Own Sweet Way" and "The Duke." The Dave Brubeck quartet recorded "Take Five" all the way back in 1959.  In 1954, Brubeck was the first modern jazz musician to be featured on the cover of Time magazine.

Brubeck is survived by his wife, four sons, a daughter, grandsons and a great granddaughter.

2 comments:

  1. he was a great musician and civil rights supporter. tragic loss especially the day before his birthday. RIP Mr. Brubeck

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I child growing up in Fremont, Ca. My parents had Dave Brubecks "Take Five" LP and blasted it on a regular basis. As I grew up, whenever I would hear 'Take Five' it always took me back to great times in my life of my childhood, it was like Mr. Brubeck was a family member. When I got the news of his passing, it saddened me, then I read that he died a day before his 92 birthday which is a day before mine, it made me understand why I onnected so well with him. I appreciate his life and legacy, thanks for being such an incredible man and musician.

    ReplyDelete